RobERT D. Tuke
Bob Tuke is a partner in the firm and represents the Industrial Development Board of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Meharry Medical College, and many other clients.
He has served as bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, and borrower's counsel in many tax-exempt finance transactions, and as lender's and borrower's counsel in multi-state commercial financings and letter of credit financings. He also has served as lead counsel in numerous merger and acquisition transactions, tender offers, proxy contests, corporate restructurings, registered securities offerings, and private placements. He has litigated several federal court actions challenging state anti-takeover statutes. He has served as counsel to corporate directors and special committees and has advised various enterprises regarding the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. He has also prepared many conservation easements and has participated in a number of historic preservation transactions.
Mr. Tuke also is a nationally recognized adoption attorney who has helped children find loving homes in every type of adoption, including interstate adoptions, international adoptions, and re-adoptions. He represents both adoptive parents and birth parents. He served on the State of Tennessee Adoption Study Commission and helped re-draft Tennessee’s Adoption Code. He currently serves on the Tennessee Court Improvement Project workgroup, which recommends and drafts legislation and rules affecting children, adoption, and foster care. He also is a Fellow and Past President and Trustee of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys.
Mr. Tuke ran as the Tennessee Democratic Candidate for the U.S. Senate in 2008 and served as Tennessee Democratic Party Chairman in 2005-2006. He was an active duty Marine officer from 1969-1973 and served in Vietnam, where he was awarded the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry in combat, among other decorations.
Mr. Tuke is an Adjunct Professor at Vanderbilt University School of Law, and has been recognized in Who’s Who in American Law, Best Lawyers in America, and as a Super Lawyer of the Midsouth.
He serves as a Lay Eucharistic Minister at St. George's Episcopal Church. He is married to Susan C. Tuke and is father to two grown children.
- JD, Vanderbilt University, 1976
- BA, University of Virginia, with distinction, 1969
- Operation Stand Down Nashville, President of the Board
- Historic Nashville, Inc., Past President
- CommunityNashville, Past Chairman
- Tennessee Parks and Greenways Foundation, Board of Directors
- Miriam's Promise Adoption Agency, Board or Directors
- Metro Nashville CATV Special Committee, Past Member
- Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee, Past Fundraising Chair
- Tennessee State Veterans Homes Board, Past Chairman and Director
- Nashville Marine Corps Coordinating Council, Member
- Leadership Nashville Alumnus
- Downtown Nashville Rotary Club, Member
- Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce, Past Board of Governors Member and General Counsel
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Tennessee Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Nashville Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Academy of Adoption Attorneys, Fellow & Past President
- Tennessee Adoption Law Study Commission